Sunday, July 16, 2017

Riding the rails (or at least where the rails used to be).

We loaded up our ATV (or AVTV as Skyler calls it), headed down the street, joined the girls, and headed South yesterday morning  to ride near Elberta.  I had read online about an abandoned rail line complete with tunnel that used to connect Elberta to Eureka via rail.  More info here.  We packed a lunch and enjoyed it in the shade of a large juniper tree along the right of way.  Lots of interesting sights, great memories, and a wonderful time was had by all.  :)

Starting out.  It really wasn't too dusty due to an afternoon rain shower the day before.

The girls on their ride.

Us on our ride.

Tunnel!

Everyone got off and checked it out.

South end of the tunnel.

The ceiling of the tunnel.  Steam engine and later diesel exhaust has stained the roof.

Whitney helping Skyler do some climbing inside the tunnel.

Looking out the South end.

The foundation of a water tower used to water steam locomotives was still visible along the right of way.

Twin Can Am two seat ATV's.

Lunch time.  Spread sandwich and some carrots.

East view of a cut presumably all dug by hand.

The spoil pile of the hand dug cut.

Possibly the deepest mine shaft I've ever seen!  I dropped a chunk of glass and counted 6 seconds before I heard any sound.

Certified abandoned mine!

Deep!

Killer views from atop the mine shaft area.

Note the I beams protecting the shaft and preventing people (rednecks) from driving across the opening.

West view towards Eureka.

There must have been a large motor or engine that drove the derrick here.  Look at how much oil and grease residue is left!

Remains of the derrick foundation.

South.

White cliffs of Elberta?

More mine related foundations and remains.

BIG lizard!

Anyone need to call home?  Odd place for a phone pedestal...

Back where we parked.  Rails headed to nowhere.

Ever seen a railroad cattle guard?  Me either.
 Mommy took a bunch of pics too, here are hers:
I made some tasty sandwiches!

Lego travel buddy even had an AVTV! 
Northeast view as we climbed up the canyon.

Moon.

North approach to the tunnel.

Ominous.

Here we go!

South view.

Prickly poppy.

Toxic green algae bloom on Utah lake.  :(
Whitney took some pics, here are hers:
Pretty great family portrait.

Monkey climbing in the tunnel.

He's using his climbing class experience in the real world.


We were the leaders most of the day.  I kept worrying that we were dusting the girls but it really wasn't bad.

Group selfie.  What a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment