Yesterday we drove up to Park City to watch the final stage of the Tour of Utah road bike race. It was awesome! We walked up main street and saw all the vendors, bikes, people, people pretending to be bikers, small children and dogs. Lots of dogs in Park City! We found a great viewing area at the bottom of main street and got to see the winner Levi Leipheimer blow everyone else away. I don't think I've ever seen anyone pedal so fast going
up main street Park City. He was going well over 30mph when he crossed the finish line! I took a ton of photos, Skyler was super excited so much so that he would clap when he saw a rider coming. Adorable. He also was a huge fan of the TV helicopter that was flying around. We can't wait for next year's tour, I think we'll have to attend as many stages as possible. In the meantime, I'm going to go burn all my bikes because there's no way I can ever ride one like that in my life!
 |
| This was on the bike/ped path going up to main street. The whole tunnel was covered in graffiti art. |
 |
| I love this! |
 |
| Bottom of main looking south. |
 |
| The finish |
 |
| Vendor area and lots of people. |
 |
| TV truck. Note that it has a generator attached behind the sleeper cab. |
 |
| The yellow "dingy"is another generator. It was so quiet you could hardly tell it was running. |
 |
| A view from our final vantage point. |
 |
| There's Deere everywhere! Even in a bike race. See the JD Gator parked on the corner? |
 |
| TV cameraman. The race is broadcast live. |
 |
| I was thinking that the pedestrian bridge wasn't designed for that kind of load. People just standing on the bridge in anticipation of the riders. |
 |
| Here they come! |
 |
| The UHP patrol car was hauling ass! Must have been doing 60mph up main street. Why? |
 |
| Helicopter. |
 |
| Levi. He was going almost as fast as the UHP patrol car! |
 |
| My god! It was unbelievable. |
 |
| Crossing the finish. Congrats Levi! |
 |
| The dust from all the chalk on the road. |
 |
| The helicopter just kept doing laps trying to film every rider finishing. |
 |
| These guys were about a minute behind Levi. |
 |
| Pretty cool having the stage end on historic main street. |
 |
| I've never seen a race where the riders were so scattered out finishing. No peloton whatsoever. |
 |
| Keep in mind, the finish is uphill and everyone was in their top gear or "big ring" while pedaling. |
 |
| Nice formation on the pace line. |
 |
| Hard to see, but the cameraman was standing outside the helicopter on the skids! |
 |
| " I love this!" |
 |
| Look at the sweet BMW motorcycle! |
 |
| Some welded metal art along the trail back down. The flipper is a JD side screen off of an old tractor. |
 |
| About a hundred grand of bikes on cars in this pic. |
 |
| The bikes are worth more than the car! |
 |
| We ended up driving down the canyon with a few of the team cars. Not only can they ride bikes fast, they drive the cars like they stole them! |
Lots of photos today, I know. I wanted to share as many as I could. Everyone needs to experience a bike race like this. It was one of the best times I've had in Park City. Now go out and get on your bike and ride!
No comments:
Post a Comment