Saturday, September 22, 2012

3 generations and the 844.

I may have to change the name of this blog to the "844 blog"!  Yesterday, my Father, Skyler, and I drove up to Evanston, Wyoming to meet UP's 844 steam locomotive. We then traveled along side it coming down the canyon to the Echo junction. (Sorry, no pics of that, I was too busy driving and enjoying the sight and sound of 844).  You probably remember me writing about it twice last week and seeing it in Nebraska almost 2 weeks ago.  It's still as impressive in Wyoming and Utah as it was in Nebraska!  Skyler has seen the locomotive 3 times now in his life.  Probably more than I had seen it up until this year.  The locomotive and train consist are on display today in Ogden, Utah from 10-4:00.  We're probably heading up there today to see the traveling UP 150 anniversary museum car. I'm thinking of riding the motorcycle toy up to Ogden tomorrow to see it head out West.  The 3 of us had a great time and Skyler loved having Grandpa riding in the truck!
My Dad walking up toward the train which is still moving.

THERE IT IS!!!

It's so loud around one of these.  Can you imagine having multiple units in the yard 60 years ago?!

The firemen getting ready to grease the connecting rod bearings.

The cab.

Ed Dickens, the engineer came over to Skyler to check out Skyler's John Deere boots!  So cool!  He's really a great person to have as a locomotive engineer and PR person for UP.  You can tell he loves his job!


The steam powered turbine generators provide the electrical power to the locomotive.

80" drivers!

It sounds like a living creature, not just a mechanical object.

Skyler with Grandpa looking through the fence at the "beast".

No comments:

Post a Comment