Monday, October 1, 2012

Backyard archeology.

Yesterday Altair and I dug the last row of potatoes in the garden.  In doing so, I found more old clay brick.  I've been finding old clay brick pieces in this one particular spot since we moved in 9 years ago.  (Our house is built on an old pasture and farmstead.)  This time I kept digging.  I managed to unearth 2 five gallon buckets of old brick.  They're stacked just like they were laid and I can't tell if it's an old foundation, sistern, or a well.  I gave up last evening because I had go in the house to cook dinner.  Today I need to get the loader tractor out of the barn to finish digging using it.  No more shoveling for me!
I had one helper.

"Sittin' in a hole!"

Clay bricks.

A corner?

I had another helper!

She definitely smelled something in the hole.

1st bucket of bricks.

2nd bucket of bricks.

More corner exposed.
Dinner in the oven.  Roasted chicken quarters, scalloped potatoes and jalapeno poppers wrapped in bacon. Yum!

It was delicious!
Dinner was the highlight yesterday.  Skyler and I both came down with colds yesterday and today we're just resting in the house trying to get better.  Poor little guy can't even blow his nose!

1 comment: