Thursday, June 21, 2012

A day out.

Yesterday, my parents and I went to Kennecott to show Skyler some of the big trucks.  Kennecott Utah Copper, is the world's largest open pit copper mine.  It's mind boggling to see.  I hadn't been there in about 5 years and I could tell the pit was significantly deeper.
This is how we started the afternoon.

The view to the bottom. 


A Komatsu 390E climbing with a load.  The mine has recently switched over to Komatsu trucks instead of Caterpillar trucks.

Grandma showed him the viewing apparatus.
The shops for maintaining the mine's equipment.

Looking over the railing.

"This is awesome!"

Hard to see, but the shorter building is the parts department for all the different makes of equipment.



All the different service trucks.



"I can touch it, Dad!"

Look at that tire!

Some tire info.

This was displayed in the visitor center.  I had one just like it as a kid.  I literally wore  it out to oblivion.  Now I'm looking for another, anyone know where to find one?

One of the big electric shovel's teeth.
After the mine, we went to the Copperton park and Skyler played.
After mamma got home, we had dinner and headed out to the Great Salt Lake for summer solstice sunset. 



More Kennecott!  It was not meant to be an entire day of mine tour.




Looking tired.  He fell asleep on the way back home.


The lake was really low.  And super smelly!

No comments:

Post a Comment