Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Father's day, Dad!

I've only been a father to Skyler for 13 months or so.  My Dad has been one to me for almost 36 years.  I don't know what I would do without him, he helps me with Skyler every week, he finishes basements, builds barns, installs vinyl fences, installs retaining walls, mows my lawn when we're out of town, builds cabinets and picture frames, and is pretty much just a kick-ass, tough as nails, awesome Dad! 

He taught me how to work on cars, (which by the way escalated to the point that he has me work on his car now, I love turning wrenches)  he taught me how to ride a bike that to this day I still love doing.  I remember him modifying my tricycle to have a hitch so I could pull a wagon behind it as a kid.  He taught me the rules of carpentry and good craftsmanship.  I wish I was as organized as he is, there is a place for everything and everything in it's proper place at his house. ( I'm still working on that one here.) And he has taught me to uphold the Cowboy Way, doing the right thing the right way.

 He is SO good with Skyler, in fact yesterday he showed Altair and me that he taught Skyler to say E I E I O after singing "Old MacDonald had a farm"  It was priceless!!  I wish I had recorded it! 

I would say Dad is probably healthier than I am, he's accrued something like 75,000 miles on a road bike!  He puts more miles on his road bike than his car EVERY YEAR!  We both like competitive cycling, last year we went up to the State Capitol to watch a stage of the Tour of Utah and I think we both enjoyed it equally. 

He has always had a love for flying and aircraft.  I remember him teaching me the different aircraft that flew over our house as a kid.  To this day I still look at planes when they fly over and Skyler has picked it up too.

Dad, I don't say it enough, but I love you.  You have taught me well and there's not a day that goes by that I don't think of you or remember something that I want to talk to you about.  (Like the B-52 that flew over yesterday at altitude.  You should have seen the contrail!)

HAPPY FATHERS DAY!!  Being a Dad isn't easy, but it's worth it.

A recent picture and a repeat on this blog, but I can remember Dad showing me farm animals like he's doing with Skyler here.  Thanks for everything Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment