Monday, July 2, 2012

Peri-Peri chicken.

Last night I grilled up some Peri-Peri chicken thighs for dinner.  Altair went to South Africa in 2010 for her MBA international business trip. ( I stayed home and worked and took care of the house and yard).  While there, she had Peri-Peri chicken.  It's mostly known from the restaurant Nando's, a South African chain that has a few restaurants in the US.  It sounds spicy as hell but it's not.  Think mild buffalo wings without any of the vinegary taste.

Peri-Peri can be used as a sauce and Wikipedia tells us:
Piri-piri sauce (used as a seasoning or marinade) is Portuguese in origin and "especially prevalent in Angola, Namibia, Mozambique and South Africa".[6] It is made from crushed chillies, citrus peel, onion, garlic, pepper, salt, lemon juice, bay leaves, paprika, pimiento, basil, oregano, and tarragon.[7]

I looked around online for some recipes and basically made my own by combing a few of the recipes I had found.  

This is what I came up with:  (Altair says it's spot on from what she had)

4-6 chicken thighs or 2 chicken leg quarters, or 20 wings works too. 
2-3 cloves of peeled crushed garlic.  (you can also use granulated garlic if you're lazy)
1-2 tablespoons of ground ginger.  (fresh is better, but I don't always have it on hand.)
The juice of 2 limes.  (lime juice is a little sweeter so it doesn't contrast too much with the peppers)
Salt and pepper to taste.
Ground cayenne pepper if you really want to heat it up.  (I usually add half a tablespoon or so)
One bottle of "A taste of Thai Garlic Chili Pepper sauce.  (I've been able to find it at Winco locally.)
The sauce. :)

Combine everything into a one gallon Ziploc bag and add your chicken.  Marinate at least 2 hours, overnight is better.  Heat your grill to medium-high (charcoal grill is only used here) and indirect grill until done.  Indirect grilling is used so as not to caramelize the sugars and burn. The last few minutes on the grill move chicken over the flame to get the nice char marks.  Plate it up to serve and watch it disappear!  Nando's serves theirs with french fries, I made some rice to go with ours.
Note the indirect grilling, coals to the right of the chicken.

Mmm, Mmm!!


No comments:

Post a Comment